Hint: Click on images to enlarge.
The blue bar contains buttons that take you to the different sections. The “Home” tab takes you to the main page, shown above.
The “Maps” tab takes you to the main maps page, where you can select the data sets to view maps from, and then browse the maps.
The “Reports” tab takes you to the main reports page, where you can select the census year to create reports from, and then view and download data.
The “Blog” tab takes you to the Social Explorer blog, with news and information about Social Explorer.
The “Help” tab takes you to the help system, where you are now.
The “Contact” tab takes you to contact information for Social Explorer.
The maps section of Social Explorer allows you to visualize thousands of variables of data.
Social Explorer maps present census data in a clear, visually comprehensible manner. Maps can be made on a variety of subjects with data from several censuses. Maps can then be used to make reports or slideshows, which can be exported to other programs.
To open the map application, click on the “Maps” tab on the blue bar at the top of the home screen, then select the group of censuses you would like to use.
Below is an overview of the tools available in the map application.
- Map title - shows what map is currently visible or the title of your slideshow
- File menu - links to various tools
- Previous or Next Map - allows you to navigate between maps
- Initial View - returns you to the default map
- Print - allows you to print your map
- Find - allows you to search for a certain area or address
- Navigational Tools - allows you to zoom in, zoom out, or pan
- Report - creates a report with a table of the chosen data in the selected area
- Legend Menus - allow you to chose a census to report the data from, what kind of data is being shown, and how to show that data
- Slideshow - allows you to create a slideshow of different maps
- Legend - shows what kind of data is being shown and how it is represented on the map
- Slideshow Controls - plays back the slideshow
Social Explorer allows you to create reports comparing a variety of subjects in multiple areas and download data for further processing.
The amount of data you have access to varies with your subscription level.
To open the Reports application, click on the “Reports” tab on the blue bar, then select the group of censuses you would like to use.
You will be taken to a page where you can begin to create your report. Learn more here.
- How do I view/browse maps?
Select the maps tab from the blue bar at the top of the main page, then select the set of data you would like to use. Learn more here.
- What data is available?
For a list of available maps and data, please click here.
- How do I look up statistics for a place?
Data for places, such as towns or cities, can be found on the Census Places geography level. You must be a subscriber to use this feature.
- How do I download data?
After creating a report, choose the “download data” tab. Learn more here.
- How do I print a map?
Push the print button, or select “Print” from the file menu. Learn more here.
- How do I download a map as an image?
Press the print button or select “Print” from the file menu, then right-click on the image and choose “Save.” Learn more here.