3. The Milwaukee debate: How segregated are we?
These articles describe a debate about how best to measure segregation and/or integration, as well as a debate about life in Milwaukee.
Readings (from Milwaukee Journal Sentinel):
- “Study explodes myth of area’s segregation”
- “Life in Milwaukee, black and white”
- “Complaints not really about our methodology” (PDF)
- Letters-to-the-Editor (eight separate links)
- What are some of the different opinions about Milwaukee’s segregation as presented in the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel readings?
- What are the differences between the dissimilarity index and the 20/20 study, as described in these articles?
- How are the descriptions of segregation by the researchers different from the letters-to-the-editor by everyday people? How are they similar?
- If you were to tell the story of segregation in Milwaukee, what evidence would you include? What evidence would you leave out? Why would you make these choices?
- Discuss how these differences relate to the observations of segregation that you have made using Social Explorer in different cities.